Wednesday, July 9, 2008

Up at the Lake

We just got back from our yearly trek into the woods to visit my aunt and uncle at their lake house in CT. What an awesome retreat. It is just so much more peaceful there. I was extra excited on this trip as I caught my biggest fish ever! I caught a 27 1/2 inch Pike, they have teeth which are very scary!! That is the picture of my uncle holding him and me getting as close to the fish as I saw necessary. Brett caught some big ones too. One of his they kept to cook and eat.

The kids had an absolute blast! They didn't want to leave, even to go to the movies on a rainy day. They are smart, who would want to leave? We camped out one night, only for it to be cut short from a leaky tent. But we slept in there for awhile. The kids thought that was super fun.

My kids seem to have inherited the Martinell "must fish" gene because that is really all they wanted to do. I think my Pop is pretty proud of that. When I was out to lunch with him and his friend Dom, Dom said, "Man you really have gotten all of them fishing" Pop smiled a little smile, actually I have to say, for him, he was beaming.

I got to visit my Gram who is in an Alzheimer's facility. That is always bitter sweet. I love to be near her, hold her hand if I can and talk to her. But she is no longer the Gram she was. She can say little so it is hard to know if she knows or comprehends much at this point. My Pop is so devoted to her and her care. I wonder how much it breaks his heart to leave her there each day. I've never seen a couple so thoroughly devoted to each other than my Gram and Pop. They are such good role models for marriage. They have persevered through much. God bless their endurance!


Love,
Steph

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

You are a very busy blogger! I love you.

Brett