Thursday, April 1, 2010

Brown Sugar & Cinnamon Oatmeal with Grated Apple & Pear

I am trying to make a concerted effort to be more healthy and more active. I have been living too much in gluttony these days. I really need to be more disciplined in my eating and my exercising habits.

"Do you not know that your body is a temple of the Holy Spirit, who is in you, whom you have received from God? You are not your own; you were bought at a price. Therefore honor God with your body." 1 Corinthians 6:19-20


So more fiber, more veggies and fruit, more water, and more excerise. Less McDonald's, less chocolate, less butter, yes, less butter. So, this morning I made up a batch of oatmeal. Alyssa who never eats oatmeal, ate it up with no complaints. I feel better already, taking better care of what God gave me.

3 cups water
1 cup Trader Joe's Quick Cook Steel Cut Oats
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons cinnamon
1 apple grated
1 pear grated
1 teaspoon lemon juice, to keep fruit from browning

Bring the water to a boil. Add the oats and reduce heat. Cover and cook for 5-7 minutes, stirring regularly. Add brown sugar, cinnamon and fruit. Cook one minute more. Remove from heat.

Alyssa and I like to eat ours with some Greek nonfat vanilla yogurt.

(4 servings)




3 comments:

AKat said...

CUTE KIDS and cute blog!!!

Thank you for stopping by mine. I am so excited that we're about to move to Connecticut where they have a Trader Joe's! I can't wait to try this oatmeal. I'm really trying to eat healthier.

Bookmarking you right now! ;)

Dara said...

Man this looks delicious! I love oatmeal, but we don't have a Trader Joe's here in Iowa. Im sure I can find a substitute! :)
I love cinnamon and apples. The kids will love this! Thank you so much for posting.
Our church has a "cook book blog" as apposed to printing a book - with your permission - may I submit this recipe?

Stephani said...

Go ahead!! Enjoy.