Monday, April 19, 2010

My Little Angel

We had an exciting weekend with Patrick's very first t-ball game. He was very proud to wear his new uniform. And I have to admit, I got a little misty seeing my baby looking like such a little man. All started off very well and then in the middle of the first inning the drama started. Poor Patrick had scraped his knees something fierce the day before. Not such a tough guy with blood and boo boos he somehow tripped coming in from the outfield and hurt his poor tender knees again. Well, let me tell you, embarrassment city! He wailed, he moaned, he yelled, he hooted, he hollered. He was absolutely dead set against walking let alone running, and here we were at his first game and he was about to have his first turn at bat. Brett literally had to pin him down so I could re-Band-Aid his knees, all the while he was screaming "NO! DON"T!! Don't touch me" Who knows what people thought we were doing to him. Anyways, he was all rebandaged, but that still wasn't enough. He wouldn't walk, only Brett could hold him. So, he completely missed the second inning and there are only 3 innings!

However, he made a come back, he said he "decided to throw his sad face away"-- how poignant for a five year old. He realizes that it is a choice sometimes. It's all in the attitude. I need that pep talk more than I can tell you. So, in the third inning he got to play the pitcher position, and I will tell you that boy got every  ball that came his way. He was focused and having fun. Great decision, Patrick! Not to mention he had his turn at bat. Thento top it all off, the coach, our neighbor and friend, gave Patrick one of the game balls for how well he did at fielding balls as pitcher. Talk about a come back. I really thought once he bumped those knees he was done for. What a great example of how our change in attitude can make all the difference in our experience.

"to be made new in the attitude of your minds; and to put on the new self, created to be like God in true righteousness and holiness." Ephesians 4:23-24
Patrick at bat and running the bases.
On the pitcher's mound
Go Angels!

No comments: