Friday, March 19, 2010

Before and After: The Family Room

I have been wanting to update the family room for some time. I was tired of the TV in the corner and the small bookshelf that really got in the way to and from the kitchen. For some reason, this room attracted a lot of clutter! Nothing was terrible, but I was just ready for a change. Brett really wanted a  new TV, one of those LCDs. But I really wasn't ready to get that unless we did the whole room the way we wanted. I didn't want to do it half-way and then be upset later when nothing was the way we wanted it. However, there wasn't money to do it all the way---until, I figured out how to get the look I wanted on a budget!The room also seemed to need some color. There is lots of beige in this room right now.

The curtains were from the previous owners and never matched our stuff. The rug did not match either!

So here is our room redone . . . . TA DA!


I found the look I liked, of course, in a Pottery Barn catalog. But with shears at more than $80 a panel, I just couldn't do it. Then I found these, almost identical in color, at Target. Target also had the pillows and the throw to match. I really struggled with the decision on the couch. My heart wanted that Pottery Barn sectional, but for the family room, I figured we could go cheaper since the kids are in there all the time and I would freak out if I spent a lot and they wrecked the stuff. So we went with the Ikea Ektorp couch and chair in Svanby Beige. They also had the chocolate brown velor pillows. They are the best! This also is what got us to Ikea for the very first time. A bit overwhelming, I must say.
Brett got an incredible deal on the TV. He went with a Dynex. It is Best Buy's generic brand, however it still made by the people who make expensive name brand TVs. It was a great bargain. We needed furiture to put that on, plus I really wanted to add bookshelves to the room. We are huge readers here and we are always looking for more space for books. Of course, I had my eye on some Pottery Barn stuff, but alas, I did find this stuff on sale at Target, that I very happy with. Plus, if the kids ding it up, I will not have a major cow. My favorite thing about the Target purchase is that the bookshelves came with wall straps and child saftey warnings. Way to go Target, thanks! You can see in the picture that I painted an accent wall. That is Behr's Gray Morning. I had some issues with the name, I thought it sounded too negative, and then I got over myself and painted.
This was my favorite purchase for the whole room. I think it ties it all together nicely.
So, I am pretty proud of my design on a dime. It was fun and Brett and I are both very happy with the room. It feels more open and it is easier for me to talk to company when I am in the kitchen! Isn't that what it is all about!

3 comments:

Sahmatwork said...

Thanks for visiting my blog, hope you enjoy! I really like yours too!....If I send you pics of my living room, can you give recommendations for improvement???!!! I seriously lack the interior design gene! Yours looks great!

Stephani said...

Absolutely! My mom also has a keen eye. I can always get her input Thanks for visiting my blog, glad to connect!

Sandra said...

Stephani--it looks amazing!! A room redo (that you actually see & use every day) is my kind of spring cleaning--though I haven't gotten very far this year! Great job...love it!