Thursday, March 25, 2010

Do Your Homework!

Recently, getting homework done without a headache or tears has been an issue in our house. Usually, Alyssa does her work at the kitchen counter. I am usually helping her, keeping her focused, making dinner, answering the phone, doing something for Patrick, or letting the dogs out or in. It is constant chaos. For weeks now I keep hearing what every good teacher knows, what I have told countless parents when I was a teacher, “She needs a quiet place dedicated for homework.” But my rationale for not acting on it sooner was that I needed to be preparing things in the kitchen, and I need to micromanage homework. Yes, a little like Claire on Modern Family the other night. By the way, I LOVE that show. So funny. But back to the homework, so I decided to act on the voice nagging in my head. Yes, Brett, if you are reading this, I do nag myself too!


I moved some things around in her room to make room for my old desk.


I made a really cute pencil holder her for her:

To make this simply use a can where you take off the entire lid. You can't use one that cuts the lid, the edges will be too sharp. Here is a can opener that would work.
Then, peel off the label and wash out the can. Dry it.
Measure the height of the can.
Find a piece of scrapbook paper or other card stock and cut a strip.
Then, use double sided tape to secure one end of the paper to the can. After that, roll the paper around the can and secure with more double sided tape. And voila, a pencil holder.

I liked this desk blotter Michael's had. They have all kinds of cute American Girl craft items there now.

The other thing I added was a swing arm lamp.

This one came from Pottery Barn Kids about seven years ago, here is the newer version.

Before I moved the desk in, she had a night table that had a lamp on it, once the desk was it, it was right next to the bed and the lamp took up way too much room on the desk. Swing arm lamps are terrific space savers. Now this lamp can be used for reading in bed and then shifted over to work at the desk.

I love this toy! Alyssa got it for her fourth birthday. It is so educational. You use a pen to touch the different parts of the globe and it tells you information about the country or contitnent, such as currency, poplation, what time it is there, cultural facts. There is also a game mode and you can quiz yourself.

Now that the desk has been in there for more than a week I can say that she has been more responsible about doing her work. She does more of her work independently. I do go up and get her started on tasks, and periodically check in, but all in all, she is taking more initiative. I think because she has a place to take it seriously and knows that I take it seriously, it has become more important to her.
The best thing I saw her do at it was "study for college" (her words, not mine) and what was she studying? The Bible! Now, that is something to work at. Amen!

“Whatever you do, work at it with all your heart, as working for the Lord, not for men, since you know that you will receive an inheritance from the Lord as a reward. It is the Lord Christ you are serving.”
Colossians 3:23

1 comment:

3girlsmom said...

Hey! Thanks for stopping by my blog. Good job pushing away the Oreos. :) That cracked me up.
Nice to "meet" you - hope to see you around soon!
Robyn (3GirlsMom)